Following is an inquiry by the Dr Hon Priscilla Leung and a composed answer by the Secretary for Culture, Sports and The travel industry, Mr Kevin Yeung, in the Regulative Chamber today (December 7):
In last month, during the last between Hong Kong and South Korea of the second leg of the Asian Rugby Seven Series held in Incheon, South Korea, Asia Rugby, the coordinator, played a tune firmly connected with the mobs and the exhibitions for Hong Kong freedom in 2019 as China’s national anthem. There are remarks calling attention to that the episode has truly sabotaged the pride 香港國歌 of the nation and Hong Kong. Besides, despite the fact that Asia Rugby has affirmed that the recording of China’s national anthem presented by the mentor of the Hong Kong Group before the opposition was the right one, the South Korean coordinator has been cited by the South Korean media as saying that it couldn’t acquire the recording of the national anthem put together by the Hong Kong Group before the opposition. In this association, will the Public authority illuminate this Board:
(1) whether it has acquired a comprehension with regards to why, in light of the current situation that some unacceptable melody was played rather than the national anthem, the Hong Kong Group didn’t step up and demand suspension of its playing and cabin a dissent;
(2) whether it has considered assuming that the Hong Kong National Security Regulation is pertinent to this episode;
(3) as it is discovered that certain individuals who have emigrated have, in regard of this occurrence, impelled on the Web others to purposely play out similar follow up on other comparable events, whether the specialists will make follow-up moves; and
(4) whether the Public authority will present an itemized examination investigate this episode to this Gathering; provided that this is true, of the schedule; in the event that not, the explanations behind that?
The Hong Kong Unique Regulatory District (HKSAR) Government unequivocally laments and goes against the playing of a melody firmly connected with fierce fights and the “freedom” development in 2019 as the National Anthem of Individuals’ Republic of China (PRC) at the men’s last between Hong Kong and the Republic of Korea of the second leg of the Asian Rugby Seven Series held in Incheon, South Korea on November 13, 2022.
Asia Rugby, the coordinator of the competition concerned, has previously apologized and gotten a sense of ownership with the occurrence, affirmed recorded as a hard copy that the recording of the National Anthem of the PRC gave to them by the lead trainer of the Hong Kong Rugby Crew was right, and cleared up that the episode was expected for a human blunder from a lesser individual from the neighborhood coordinator (to be specific the Korea Rugby Association). At its web-based public interview of November 15, Asia Rugby affirmed that it didn’t pass the right recording of the National Anthem of the PRC that they had to the Korea Rugby Association.
On November 22, 2022, the Leader of Asia Rugby, Mr Qais Abdulla Al Dhalai, extraordinarily visited Hong Kong from Dubai to clarify the episode for the Central Secretary for Organization face to face. He repeated that the occurrence was because of a human blunder completely with next to no political or vindictive expectation, and embraced to reinforce important strategies and guarantee no comparable slip-up would reoccur.
To keep any comparative slip-up from reoccurring, the HKSAR Government has liaised with the Hong Kong Sports Organization and Olympic Panel of Hong Kong, China and the Hong Kong Paralympic Board. Rules were proclaimed on November 22 for generally national games affiliations and all sports associations subvented by the HKSAR Government. The rules plainly set out how they ought to guarantee the right use and depiction by abroad occasion coordinators of the National Anthem of the PRC and the Local Banner of the HKSAR, and furthermore expect them to proactively approach their relating international and Asian games organizations to guarantee that our National Anthem and Provincial Banner get the legitimate regard justified.
Having counseled the Security Agency and the Established and Central area Undertakings Department, my answer to Dr the Hon Priscilla Leung’s inquiry is as per the following:
(1) As per the data given by the Hong Kong Rugby Association, the Hong Kong Rugby Crew had cautioned Asia Rugby, the occasion coordinator, in the principal occurrence after they understood that a mistaken melody had been played as the National Anthem for the Hong Kong group. Asia Rugby made a public declaration in the arena just after the match to apologize for having played an off-base tune as the National Anthem for the Hong Kong group, as well as organized the playing of the right National Anthem of the PRC, “The Walk of the Workers”, at the decoration show service for Hong Kong group after it had won.
(2) and (3) The Coordinated Wrongdoing and Ternion Agency of the Police is exploring the occurrence of some unacceptable National Anthem being played when the Hong Kong Rugby Crew contended abroad. The Police are researching in the event that there has been any infringement of the National Anthem Law, National Banner and National Seal Statute or other Hong Kong regulations in the episodes. The Police’s examination is progressing and will keep on moving toward important people and associations for determining the occurrence of the episodes and assortment of proof.
The Web is certainly not an incredible world that is past the law. The majority of the regulations in Hong Kong authorized to forestall violations in reality are on a basic level relevant to the web-based world. Any individual or association distributing data on the Web should consent to the applicable necessities under the National Security Regulation and nearby regulations. On the off chance that any unlawful demonstrations are uncovered, policing will expect the applicable people or associations criminally to take responsibility.
What’s more, we should underscore that the National Security Regulation makes extraterritorial difference. Notwithstanding where the people or associations which abuse the National Security Regulation are found, they will be managed by the HKSAR Government as per the law.
As respects whether the National Security Regulation is relevant to the ongoing episode, the National Security Regulation has plainly specified four classes of offenses that imperil national security, specifically severance, disruption of state power, fear based oppressor exercises, and plot with an unfamiliar nation or with outside components to jeopardize national security. Whether the demonstrations of any people or associations disregard the law would rely upon the genuine conditions of the case, including current realities, the applicable demonstrations and the mens rea, the proof assembled, etc. Since the examination is as yet progressing, we shouldn’t remark on individual case.
Regardless, imperiling national security is an intense wrongdoing. Nobody ought to endeavor to overstep the law, to try not to bear any pointless legitimate dangers. Assuming there is any proof showing that any individual has abused the National Security Regulation or other Hong Kong regulations, for example, the National Anthem Mandate and the National Banner and National Image Law, we will follow up as per the law.
(4) We totally can’t acknowledge that a melody firmly connected with vicious fights and the “freedom” development in 2019 was played as the National Anthem of the PRC. The national anthem is the image and indication of a country and should be regarded on all events. Asia Rugby assumed a sense of ownership with the episode and embraced to guarantee no comparative slip-up would reoccur. In light of at present accessible data, we have so far not had any motivation to accept that any political variables or pernicious plan was involved.
As referenced over, the Police is exploring the situation concerning whether there has been any infringement of the National Anthem Mandate or some other Hong Kong regulations in the episode. The Public authority will, in light of the consequences of the examination, make a suitable subsequent move.