Once again, the return of Zafar Archer to cricket became uncertain. The England fast bowler has been ruled out of next year’s English summer due to a second round of surgery on his elbow. England will play a five-match T20 series in the West Indies after the Ashes. Then there is the three-Test series against the Caribbean in March. England will not get Archer in them.
The England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) has confirmed in a statement that London had undergone a second round of surgery on the right elbow of fast bowler Zafra Archer on Saturday 11 December. He has been suffering from ‘stress-fracture’ in his elbow for a long time.
In a recent statement, the ECB said: “His return to cricket will be fixed in time, but Zafar will not be available for any series in England this winter.”
England will begin their summer season with a three-Test series against New Zealand in June next year. The first test will start on June 2. They will then play three ODIs against the Netherlands, a limited-overs series against India and a fifth Test in the last series postponed. They will then play three Tests, three ODIs and a Twenty20 against South Africa.
Archer was dropped from the tour of South Africa for the first time in 2020 due to this injury. Since then, the 26-year-old fast bowler has played only six Tests, three ODIs and 11 T20Is for England. The last international match he played was in March this year. Archer returned home from Seba’s India tour with another injury and had to undergo surgery to remove bone fragments from his hands. Then he removed himself from IPL.
Archer returned to county club Sussex after undergoing his first surgery in May. But then came the old injury, which knocked him out of the T20 World Cup and the Ashes. He was then told that he would not return this year.
England has naturally felt the lack of one of the heroes of the 2019 World Cup final in the T20 World Cup. Ewen Morgan’s side lost to New Zealand in the semi-finals. In the current Ashes too, England is not getting extra speed from Archer. Joe Root’s side trailed 2-0 in a five-match series after two Tests on Australian soil.
This time the Ashes is one-sided. Before the start of the series, it was reported that England is going to Australia with the best preparation. And for the Ashes, England cricketers have taken breaks throughout the year. However, the team did not benefit from the fresh Ashes.
England surrendered helplessly in the first two Tests. Neutral spectators like English supporters are also disappointed. Thousands, but who wants to see such a single dominance in the Ashes? Then England captain Joe Root blamed the bowlers tomorrow. Root has pushed the burden of failure on the shoulders of bowlers even after batting failure in four innings. Former Australia captain Ricky Ponting, who has won two World Cups, is furious. Said, then what is the responsibility of the route as a captain!
Root came to the press conference after the match yesterday and picked up his fast bowlers. “I don’t think I’m playing at the right length,” he said, citing the reason for losing the first two Tests. To be honest, we should push the ball a little further. This is one of the many frustrations. Because, I did it four years ago and made a mistake. We are not learning from this. I made the same mistake last week (Brisbane Test). We have to be better and learn faster. “
In the conversation with Cricket Australia, Ponting has completely washed away Root. “Root doesn’t understand what captaincy is,” said Root. And if they don’t listen, get rid of them, that’s all. Tell him who can do it. Or tell them hard on the field, tell them what you want. That is what captaincy means. “
Joe Root is not doing badly with the bat in the series. The captain is only after David Malan with 165 runs in four innings. But his negative fielding on the field, failure to change bowling, selection of wrong team and failure to do anything exceptional is causing the team to suffer. Criticizing the bowlers in public will increase the pressure on him.