As a free product, both the Facebook and Google have millions of users, but these companies store private data including searches, visited places, and interests of users. This database which these companies have is not the cheap things. This can leak personal information of millions of users.
Recent Facebook’s data leak scam can prove the seriousness of such issues. Tough, CEO Mark Zuckerberg promised to improve privacy and security policies of the social media site. However, this was not the first time that anyone has misused social media. Here is a list of misuse of Facebook:
- An exact number of data leaked with Cambridge Analytica: 87 million
- Earlier, Facebook reported “malicious actors” took advantages of search tool of Facebook which helped to discover identities and collect information. These “malicious actors” collected personal information of users including name and contact information.
- The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) claimed that Facebook has mispresented its privacy policies, it must offer better policies. Due to this criticism, Facebook enabled the ask before sharing data.
- In 2016, Facebook was charged with US$ 1.44 million by Spain for collecting data based on the ideologies and religious beliefs, sex, and personal choices. Also, it was charged for deleting information of people, they were asked that why they collected the information.
- In 2016, Facebook used user’s location data to refer friends without their permission. Facebook conducted an experiment and removed posts of more than 689,003 users without informing those users. Additionally, there was a lawsuit against the company for scanning private messages of users for advertising purposes.
Google is not less guilty in terms of misuse and loss of data. Here is a list of Google privacy infringement:
- 38 states filed a lawsuit against Google, then they admitted that its cars were taking pictures and collecting data including emails, passwords, and other personal information.
- In 2012, FTC filed a case against the company for providing security measures of Apple devices and bypassing Safari’s anti-tracking measures with the use of a secret code.
- It was found that Google Home Mini, the smart home device records even if the user didn’t instruct to do so.
- YouTube the subsidiary of Google, was accused of collecting data on children of age less than 13 without their parent’s acquiescence
These lists are proofs that both the companies have faced some criticism for the data privacy and both are not secured as expected.